SICCAS was originated from the Engineering Institute of National Central Academy in 1928. After the liberation, she was named as the Institute of Metallurgy and Ceramics which belong to Chinese Academy of Sciences. In 1959, the Institute of Metallurgy and Ceramics was separated into two independent Institutes. The ceramic part was reformed as the Shanghai Institute of Ceramic Chemistry and Technology, and then was renamed as the Shanghai Institute of Ceramics since the year of 1984.
The president of National Central Academy, Cai Yuanpei (left 3rd) and the director of the Engineering Institute, Zhou Ren (right 2nd) in 1934.
Director Zhou Ren was instructing the research work in 1956
The ceremony for splitting IMC into two institutes in 1960
Unveiling ceremony of SICCAS in 1985